Are The Wasps In Bryan Causing You Trouble?
June 16, 2022
Bryan, Texas, is home to multiple sports complexes and recreation centers, and there is never a lack of things to do. With the wide spaces of the Brazos Valley, there are so many ways to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. Communing with nature can help drive stress away, but an encounter with a wasp can soon have you running for cover. Wasps do not confine themselves to parks; they can also be close to home, making pest control in Bryan extremely important.
What Do Wasps Look Like?
Wasps typically get categorized into three main categories: social, solitary, and parasitic. Because with so many different types of wasps in the Bryan area, wasp identification can be tricky.
Seven general characteristics used to identify wasps include the following:
- Smooth bodies (measuring ½ to ¾ of an inch long)
- Two pairs of wings
- Three body parts typically pinched at the waist
- Three pairs of legs
- Ovipositor (stinger) in females
- Variety of colors (brown, black, red, yellow, blue, stripes)
Wasps establish their nests in various locations; they can be underground, overhead, or in a cavity in a tree. Because they often form nests close to areas frequented by people and pets, they can also be dangerous.
How Dangerous Are Wasps?
Groups of social wasps tend to travel together to form their colonies. Once their nest gets established, they will aggressively defend it by stinging repeatedly.
Some dangers associated with wasp stings include:
- Acute pain at the sting site
- Redness and minor swelling
- Swelling that affects whole limbs (sometimes lasting up to 7 days)
- Anaphylactic reaction in hypersensitive people
While most people do not experience severe repercussions from wasp stings, being attacked by a nest of agitated wasps can be life-threatening. Anaphylactic reactions are dangerous and can cause death. If you discover a wasp nest in an area that could be a potential risk to people and pets, it is wise to reach out to pest professionals like Entec Pest Management, for safe wasp removal.
Natural Ways Prevention Tips
One of the best ways to prevent wasps from finding your property attractive is by eliminating things from your yard that lure them. Property owners can take a few steps to help keep them away.
Eight natural wasp prevention tips include the following:
- Placing plants and foliage around your yard that deter wasps
- Filling all ground holes
- Removing/repairing standing water receptacles (gutters, birdbaths, and pet bowls)
- Sealing gaps, cracks, and crevices with silicone-based caulking
- Frequently removing garbage
- Keeping garbage cans closed with tight-fitting lids
- Keeping window screens in good repair and keeping doors closed
- Keeping food covered when eating outdoors
No matter how many steps property owners take to reduce wasp attractants around their property, the fact is that the outdoors is a wasp's domain. Wasps are experts at finding spots to establish nests. When you see them on your property, the best way to get rid of a wasp nest safely is with the help of the pest professionals at Entec Pest Management.
The Safest Form Of Wasp Control
At Entec Pest Management, our top priority is identifying the source of your pest problem and tailoring treatments to fit your specific needs. Whether you need residential or commercial services, you have our assurance that we will do the job right the first time. We have been fighting area pests in the Bryan area for more than 30 years, and our expertise in the field is top-notch. Area pests can be daunting, don't take them on yourselves – call Entec Pest Management today.