A Handy Mosquito Prevention Guide For Bryan Homeowners
July 30, 2022
Mosquitoes are a common sight in Bryan, TX, during the summer months. They play an important role in our ecosystem, but they can also be a nuisance to homeowners. Mosquitoes spread diseases like West Nile virus and Zika virus, so it's important to take steps to prevent them from breeding and biting. Entec Pest Management will go over ways to repel mosquitoes and the different diseases they spread. We'll also discuss how pest control in Bryan can help you get rid of them for good if they start taking over.
The Role Mosquitoes Play In Our Ecosystem
Mosquitoes are often seen as nothing more than pests, but they actually play an important role in the ecosystem. They're a food source for many animals, including fish, bats, and birds. Mosquitoes also help to control the population of other insects. While they may be annoying, we need them in our environment to maintain a balance.
However, you probably don't want them in your yard. If you're having trouble with mosquitoes, Entec Pest Management can help. We'll come to your home and assess the situation. We'll then create a custom residential pest control plan that will get rid of mosquitoes on your property for good.
The Dangerous Diseases Mosquitoes Are Known To Spread
There are a number of dangerous diseases carried by mosquitoes, including:
- West Nile virus
- Zika virus
Symptoms of these diseases can include fever, headache, nausea, and vomiting. In severe cases, these diseases can lead to death. Although these diseases are rare in the United States, it's still important to take steps to prevent mosquito bites. Wearing long sleeves and pants, using mosquito repellent, and avoiding standing water can help reduce your risk of being bitten.
Five Easy Ways To Prevent Mosquitoes Around Your Yard
There are a few simple things you can do to prevent mosquitoes from breeding and biting in your yard:
- Eliminate standing water. This is the best way to control mosquitoes because they lay their eggs in stagnant water. To prevent them from breeding, empty out any containers of standing water around your property, including bird baths, rain gutters, and pet bowls.
- Mow your lawn regularly. Long grass provides a hiding place for mosquitoes. Keep your yard well-trimmed to reduce their populations.
- Remove excess vegetation. Remove any dead leaves, branches, or other vegetation from around your property. These can also provide hiding places for mosquitoes.
- Fix screens. Make sure that your doors and windows have tight-fitting screens to keep mosquitoes from getting inside your home.
- Plant mosquito-repellent plants. There are a few plants that emit scents mosquitoes hate, including citronella, marigolds, and catnip. Planting them around your property can help to keep them away.
If you take these precautions, you'll be less likely to have problems with mosquitoes. However, if they become a problem, you may need to call in professional help.
Professional Mosquito Control Is A Great Idea For Your Yard
If you've tried all of the prevention methods and you're still having trouble with mosquitoes, it's time to call in the professionals. Entec Pest Management offers mosquito control in Bryan that can help you get rid of them for good. We will perform a thorough inspection of your property and determine the best way to kill mosquitoes in your particular yard. This may include using larvicide to kill mosquito eggs, spraying insecticide around the perimeter of your home, or setting up mosquito traps. We'll also help you take steps to prevent mosquitoes from coming back in the future.
Don't let mosquitoes ruin your summer. Call Entec Pest Management today to schedule an appointment. We'll help you get rid of them for good, with our effective residential and commercial pest control services in Bryan.